23 replies to this topic

#1 Fridge

Fridge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

http://www.wikihow.c...ot-Refrigerator

click above link for detailed instructions.

vcuSlaecvIw

#2 Guest_Billy Benson_*

Guest_Billy Benson_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

the guy wastes a lot of time. He could just say to plug the hole with tape, show it already that way, etc.

#3 Fridge

Fridge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

the guy wastes a lot of time. He could just say to plug the hole with tape, show it already that way, etc.

well I liked the video as it is. As with anything man or woman has there hands on... you can always tweak and refine the way things are done. I install toilet paper a certain way... I like the paper falling off the roll and some like it on top. It all works and so it is.

#4 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

I went straight to the link. It is a working idea. Nothing new actually. Just re-popularizing an ancient technique. Thank you for the reminder, though.

#5 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

That's pretty nifty and I was excited about learning to do something new until I got to this part:

Evaporative cooling works most effectively in dry heat and this pot-in-pot refrigerator is no different. In high humidity you will find that this solution does not work

It gets humid here and this definitely wouldn't work in the South, but still, I'm keeping it as a possibility for up in the mountains at less humid times of the year.

#6 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

If I am not mistaken, the original clay pot fridge was used in the desert where the air is very dry. It's not that it won't work in humid climates. It will still work but less efficiently.

I live in a very humid area and I know for a fact that water stored in clay jars do become very cool. It's the evaporation process through the ceramic walls of the jars that's bringing down the temperature of the water inside. I think the clay jars have to be unglazed for the best effect.

#7 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

If I am not mistaken, the original clay pot fridge was used in the desert where the air is very dry. It's not that it won't work in humid climates. It will still work but less efficiently.

I live in a very humid area and I know for a fact that water stored in clay jars do become very cool. It's the evaporation process through the ceramic walls of the jars that's bringing down the temperature of the water inside. I think the clay jars have to be unglazed for the best effect.

Well that's good to know. Unglazed terra cotta pots are cheap and I have several for the garden. It would be easy to make one. And come to think of it, I also have a nifty little thing called a butter bell that keeps butter fresh on the counter while keeping it at a spreadable consistency using water. It's awesome and a really old idea, just like the clay pot fridge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

That looks like a very handy utensil. Is that kind of thing still being sold anywhere?

#9 Jessi

Jessi

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Butter bells definitely are. It's a name brand and they sell them here:

http://www.butterbell.com/

#10 PMom

PMom

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Oh this is very cool! I should get one, my daughter complains if the butter is in the fridge and I complain if its melted all over the counter!

Well that's good to know. Unglazed terra cotta pots are cheap and I have several for the garden. It would be easy to make one. And come to think of it, I also have a nifty little thing called a butter bell that keeps butter fresh on the counter while keeping it at a spreadable consistency using water. It's awesome and a really old idea, just like the clay pot fridge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 PMom

PMom

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

When I was a kid, we went on a fishing/camping trip in the Sierras. While we were hiking around, we found a campsite, probably a gold panner. My parents showed us his "refrigerator".

Basically, it was a wood framework suspended over a tiny creek, with open shelves. Over the top was cloth, maybe it was burlap, that covered the entire frame and extended down into the water. The water wicks up the cloth and evaporates, cooling the interior. It was in a very shady spot that probaby never saw the sun.

But inside was very cool, significantly cooler than the outside air.

After they showed us, of course we got the "never touch other people's stuff, we only showed you to educate you" lecture.

#12 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

When I was a kid, we went on a fishing/camping trip in the Sierras. While we were hiking around, we found a campsite, probably a gold panner. My parents showed us his "refrigerator".

Basically, it was a wood framework suspended over a tiny creek, with open shelves. Over the top was cloth, maybe it was burlap, that covered the entire frame and extended down into the water. The water wicks up the cloth and evaporates, cooling the interior. It was in a very shady spot that probaby never saw the sun.

But inside was very cool, significantly cooler than the outside air.

After they showed us, of course we got the "never touch other people's stuff, we only showed you to educate you" lecture.

The lecture, generally speaking, is sound advice. Until SHTF. Then it's open season and everything's fair game.

#13 beckyv1265

beckyv1265

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

I saw this on another program on what the ancients knew. It was in India. They used clay pots in the shade and covered them with straw. Then they placed them in the wind. They showed how they could make ice that way. Very cool stuff.

#14 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

I saw this on another program on what the ancients knew. It was in India. They used clay pots in the shade and covered them with straw. Then they placed them in the wind. They showed how they could make ice that way. Very cool stuff.

Really? They could make ice with that? That's really fantastic. In Thailand we have equipment to make ice-cream without using electricity but we still have to have some ice to begin with.

#15 beckyv1265

beckyv1265

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Yes it was very cool. Its a great series that I think is full of useful information. You can find them online and watch them on your PC. There are so many great programes on these days. I learned most of what I know from books. If you have seen the pics of my library you would already know how extensive it is. The problem I have is getting my kids interested in reading all that stuff. Many of my older books are a little boring to kids. But they just love watching shows. When I find a good science or history show they cheer. They hate it when I just lecture from an old dusty book. lol I guess they are a product of their media age. I wanted my children to read all the classics but they were not interested. I found that they have made most of the classics into movies. We watched Treasure Island and Mobey Dick just the other day. Last week we watched Swiss Family Robinson and Robinson Caruso. Thank goodness for Hollywood or these classic might have been just lost.

#16 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Books are soon going to be rarities. Which is a real pity. I grew up with books. They are my first love. My world has become enriched by what I have read. If only I can think of some way to get the kids nowadays to fall in love with books again.

#17 beckyv1265

beckyv1265

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

I think that they are so inundated with all the available media that there just is not the time or desire to read anymore. They can just pull something up online or download a video. Books are just not fast enough. In my generation there was a real lack of media and books were our entertainment. I find that I no longer take the time to read as much as I used to do. Even for pleasure. I have so many other options. So I am still collecting and preserving books . I read any new ones that I bring in. I am a speed reader so it does not take me long. I can read a novel in just a few hours. I have only one other child who can read at my level. She is still a reader. I know she can readf several books a day. My others have varied skill levels and a few struggle with it. One has mild learning disorder. But even as fast I as I can read and process information I don't have the time to read all I want and still see all the movies I want to see or play all the games I want to play. lol Something has to give way.

#18 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Tell you what. Here's an off-beat idea. Encourage your kids to do the things that you want to do yourself but don't have enough time to do. Then you can enjoy those things vicariously through your children.

#19 beckyv1265

beckyv1265

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

lol Well I did read a lttle yesterday while I was waiting for my new game to load in the XBOX. I was reading up on the brain. My kids were using the book to as a lap desk for their laptops. Hehehehe. I thought that was a little ironic. They didn't get my humor at all.

#20 Hedonologist

Hedonologist

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

I've never actually seen one of these before during all my time as a prepper. It makes sense though I assumed an air tight seal using water could be used in some way but I'd never thought of it like this though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)